Research projects in the Ministry for Foreign Affairs
As a part of the Foreign Ministry's policy planning and research activities, its Policy Planning and Research Unit carries out research projects in cooperation with Finnish and foreign partners.
Examples of partners in projects under way in 2018:
European Policy Centre (EPC)
The final reports of the most recently completed research projects are listed below. Further information about them and projects that have been completed earlier can be requested by e-mail to STUemail@example.com.
- DiploFoundation: Data Diplomacy: Updating diplomacy to the big data era
- VATT Institute for Economic Research: The expected economic impacts of the EU-Canada Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement in Finland
- Erik Castrén Institute: Autonomous Weapon Systems an International Humanitarian Law: Out of the Loop? (pdf, 456 KB, 76 pages)
- Tampere Peace Research Institute: The Era of Private Peacemakers: A New Dialogic Approach to Mediation
- Solid Plan Consulting: EU Targeted Sanctions and Fundamental Rights
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI): African Directions Towards an Equitable Partnership in Peace Operations
- Center for Transatlantic Relations: Forward Resilience: Protecting Society in an Interconnected World
- University of Oxford and Future of Humanity Institute: Existential Risk Diplomacy and Governance
Finnish Water Forum: Towards closer Nordic cooperation in the water sector (pdf, 2,3 MB, 66 pages)
Richard Gowan: The UN and Finnish Security: a 60th Anniversary Audit
Clingendael (Netherlands Institute of International Relations): Diplomacy in the Digital Age (pdf, 78 pages, 700 KB)
SaferGlobe: Nordic Arms Transfer Controls and the Arms Trade Treaty (pdf, 33 pages, 724 KB)
Clingendael (Netherlands Institute of International Relations): Futures for Diplomacy (pdf, 4,3 MB, 85 pages)
In addition to these, different departments have their own research projects. The Ministry for Foreign Affairs is also involved in the government’s analysis, assessment and research activities (VN-TEAS).