Merikasarmi, PO Box 176, 00023 Government, Finland
Switchboard: +358 295 16001
Contact information

Money transfers abroad

If you have run out of money abroad, you should first ask friends or relatives to transfer money into your bank account or a remittance abroad. Money can also be transferred from your own bank account to the Foreign Ministry's bank account. The mission can consider an ‘undertaking to repay’ agreement for your travel home only in exceptional circumstances.  

It may be possible for you to withdraw cash abroad using your bank or credit card, if someone transfers money into your bank account in Finland.

If you have your online banking access code with you, you can make arrangements with your bank directly and, for example, request an increase in your credit limit.

You can ask a family member or friend in Finland to transfer money abroad via, for example, the following companies

The recipient of the payment must be able to verify their identity by means of an official ID (such as a passport) upon collecting the money. The control code or transaction number of the transfer should be informed to the recipient.

There is no free consular transport home

If you are stranded and need funds for your travel back to Finland and you do not succeed to do so by the above means, the mission can ask the Ministry to arrange a sum of money (plus EUR 40 transaction fee) to be transferred from your account into the Ministry's account. The deposit can also be made by someone else you have named.  The funds can be paid from the mission's till only after the transfer has taken place.

In exceptional cases, that is, if you are staying abroad temporarily and in distress caused by crime, serious illness or any other similar reason and it is not possible to receive a deposit, the mission may consider assistance against  an ‘undertaking to repay’ agreement for travel home using the most affordable means of travel.

The assistance against an ‘undertaking to repay’ agreement is distrainable without a separate decision.

This document

Content administrator Unit for Consular Assistance

Updated 5/20/2015

Takaisin ylös