The strategic priorities of the Foreign Service
Foreign and security policy aims to strengthen Finland’s international position, to secure Finland’s independence and regional integrity as well as to improve the security and welfare of people in Finland. Taking note of global interdependencies, Finland promotes international stability, peace, democracy, human rights, the rule of law and equality.
The Ministry has defined the strategic priorities for its activities, to be advanced through cooperation between different policy sectors and different functions.
Read the whole text: The strategic priorities of the Foreign Service 2015 (pdf, 4 pages)
The stability of neighbouring areas, the EU as a security community and Finland’s international position
The strengthening of Nordic security policy cooperation, especially with Sweden, is significant for Finland. The EU is an important security community for Finland, and EU membership connects Finland to the Western community of values.
- Foreign policy and security policy
- Finland as an actor in the EU’s Common Foreign and Security Policy
- Arms control and disarmament
- International sanctions
- Export control
- Cyber security and the cyber domain
Finland promotes an open, rules-based free trade and global economy. The Foreign Service plays an important role in safeguarding the preconditions of Finnish enterprises for international operations. By promoting sustainable development worldwide, Finland bears global responsibility.
- Team Finland activities at the Foreign Ministry
- Common Commercial Policy of the EU
- Crisis management
- Climate change – global policy and cooperation
The active foreign policy safeguarding Finland’s security and well-being requires an effective Foreign Service whose expertise the entire state administration can rely on. The country’s own network of diplomatic missions is vital to Finland. The opportunities enabled by digitisation are utilized widely.
- The network of Finland’s missions
- Consular services at diplomatic missions
- Services and guidance related to travel safety and entry in Finland